May 31

Getting Married in Thailand for Vietnamese Nationals

Tags: , ,

Vietnamese Nationals who contemplate on marrying in Thailand need to bring the following documents from Vietnam and present it to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok.  The embassy will issue the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in return which is necessary for the Thai Marriage.

  • Certificate of Single Status. This is obtained at the local district office in Vietnam where the party resides.
  • Original of the Divorce Certificate. This is required for those who have been married before which ended in either divorce or death of Spouse.
  • Original of Vietnamese Passport.
  • National ID card/Valid ID card.
  • The Household Registration Certificate
  • Original of Birth Certificate.
  • Original of Fiancé’ Passport.
  • Original of the Divorce Certificate of Fiance’ if he/she had been married before.

Upon submission of these documents at the Vietnamese Embassy, the Affirmation form will be provided to the applicant for him/her to complete. It’s important to have the following information ready to be able to complete the form immediately: Personal Information, name of parents, address, nationality of fiancee and two references and their addresses. The Affirmation may be given within a day or two. You have to tell this to the officer otherwise she will ask you to return after 2 days.

Once you have obtained the document, you are now ready to proceed with the Thai Marriage Registration process.



George has been working as a Client Services Specialist/Consultant/Marketing Officer for international law firms in Thailand since 2007. His interests include uncovering the intricacies of Thai Immigration Laws, Thai Real Estate or Conveyancing laws in Thailand, Setting up a business in Thailand and among other legal issues and concerns besetting expatriates in Thailand. He works mainly with G.A.M. Legal Alliance's Thai lawyers assisting them with research and efficient communication with the firm's foreign clients.