Form I-130 Information

The Form I-130 information explains how to complete the Petition for Alien Relative. This form is required by the USCIS in the US when you want to take your Thai wife home. The completed form will tell USCIS that you are an American citizen or permanent resident. See below how the Form I-130 tells them about you as well as your Thai wife. See which documents will be needed below. Ensure that the translations are correct and certified. Also that that person doing the certification has been identified correctly.

Visa Used : IR1  | IR2  CR1 | CR2

Form I-130 Information

Form I-130

Form I-130 Details

The document is divided into various sections, and here is a summary. We will need to look at what information is needed. The instructions for completing the form has a section for dates as well as information about your and your Thai wife. The following information has also been explained as follows below. Note that if your Thai wife changed her title or surname then you will also need these documents. There is the “Thai women’s right to retain their maiden surnames” as well as “Persons Name Act” on here.


CR1 and IR1 US Visa Class

Firstly we will need to explain what the top of the form needs. This tells you what type of visa you can use with this form. This is explained after you completed your full name as well as your date of birth and social secruity number. The following options exist. 

There is the 201(b) which is for your spouse which is an immigrant visa. These are categories such as the IR-1 which is spouses of U.S. citizens. Likewise there is also the  CR-1 which is for conditional spouses of U.S. citizens. Then there is the 201(b) which is for a child which is an immigrant visa. These categories IR-2 which is for unmarried children under 21 years of age of U.S. citizens. Likewise the CR-2 which is for conditional unmarried children under 21 years of age of U.S. citizens. Lastly there is also the 201(b) or parent of the immigrant visa category IR-5. This is for the parents of U.S. citizens. Likewise see also the K4 Thailand for more information with regards to children. 


F1 and F2 US Visa Class

Following this is the 203(a)(1) options which are for unmarried sons or daughters.  This is an immigrant visa category F1-1 which is for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Secondly there is also the 203(a)(2)(A) which is for a spouse likewise an immigrant visa category F2-1. This is for the spouses of lawful permanent residents. Thirdly there is the 203(a)(2)(A) which is for a child which is an immigrant visa category F2-2. Likewise for unmarried children under 21 years of age of lawful permanent residents. 

Lastly there is also the 203(a)(2)(B) which is for unmarried sons and daughters. Which is an immigrant visa category F2-4. Likewise for unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents. There is also the 203(a)(3) which is for married sons or daughters.. This immigrant visa category F3-1 for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Lastly there is the 203(a)(4) for a brother or sister. This immigrant visa category F4-1 which is meant for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

The first two is what we are going to cover. These as you can see is more about the CR1 as well as the IR1 visa from Thailand. For children there is also the CR2 visa as well as the IR2 visa when they travel with the visa applicant being you Thai wife. See also the full article on US visa Thailand on here.

Form I-130 Additional Information

In this section, you’ll need to share your personal details like your name, where you were born, and how to contact you. If you have an Alien Registration Number or a USCIS Online Account Number, you’ll put that here too.

Part 3 – Physical and Marital Information:

Here, you’ll describe how you look, including your eye and hair color, height, and weight. You’ll also talk about your marital history, like whether you’ve been married before.

Part 4 – Beneficiary’s Information:

This part is about the person you’re trying to bring to the U.S. It includes their personal details, marital status, and family background. You’ll also need to mention how they entered the U.S. and their work history.

Part 5 – Other Details:

You’ll say if you’ve applied for this person or any other person to come to the U.S. before. If there are other family members applying separately, you’ll provide their information too. Also, you’ll mention who filled out the form for you and how to contact them.

Part 6 – Your Statement:

Here, you confirm that all the information you provided is true and complete. You acknowledge that giving false information can have serious consequences.

Part 7 – Interpreter’s Details:

If someone helped you understand and fill out the form in a different language, their information goes here. They’ll certify that they translated everything accurately.

Part 8 – Preparer’s Information:

If someone else, like a lawyer, helped you with the form, their details are here. They’ll state if they’re a professional and confirm that the information is correct.

Part 9 – Extra Details:

If there’s anything else important that wasn’t covered, you can write it down in this section.

Likewise see also the  Form I-129F as well as the Form I-134.


This paper is important when you want to help a family member move to the U.S. You need to fill out the form correctly and truthfully. Giving wrong information can get you into legal trouble. If you’re sending any papers in a language other than English, you must also send an English translation. The translator has to confirm that the translation is accurate, complete, and that they’re good at translating from the foreign language to English. A lot of delays happen when the forms are not filled out right or if the translator isn’t clearly identified.

Form I-130 Documents needed

You will need to ensure that you have the ability to prove that you are a US citizen or a US permanent resident. 

If you want to prove you are a citizen of the United States, you’ll need certain documents. These papers show where you were born and that you’re part of the U.S. Here’s what you might need:

Copy of your U.S. birth certificate: This is very easy to obtain from the government.

Copy of your U.S. citizenship certificate: You will need the documents for this.

Likewise a copy of Form FS-240 or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA): This might be a bit difficult however you can also obtain this if you had been born abroad as an American. 

Copy of your U.S. passport: This is easy enough. Ensure that it is properly certified.

Statement from a U.S. consular officer: Much like above this might take a while to obtain. 

Copy of your Green Card: Find a certified copy of your Green Card.

Proof of your family relationship: For Thailand this is your marriage certificate from the Amphurs Office. 


Form I-130 Additional Documents

If you want to bring your Thai wife to another country, you need some important papers. These papers prove that your marriage is real and legal. Here’s what you need:

Copy of your marriage certificate from Thailand: It’s a document that shows you’re married.

Proof if you were married before: The divorce decree or death certificate comes from the US. The US Embassy does not have access to this. 

Proof that your marriage is real: If you’re trying to bring your spouse to another country, you need to show that your marriage is genuine. This could be documents like a lease (a paper that shows you both live in the same place), proof that you own property together, or proof that you share money.

If you have kids together: You need to show their birth certificates. Likewise at the Amphurs Office.

Letters from people who know you: These letters are from friends or family who can vouch that your marriage is real. They need to write down why they know your marriage is genuine and provide their personal details.

Any other papers that prove your marriage is real: If you have any other documents that show you’re married, include them too.

If your name changed legally: If your name changed at any point, you need papers to prove it, like a name change certificate.

Photos: You might need some passport-style photos of both of you.

These papers are important to show that your marriage is genuine and legal, so you can live together in another country.

Adopted Children

If you are submitting Form I-130 for your adopted child, please also provide evidence demonstrating your eligibility for the family-based petition process, including:

  • Copy of the adoption decree confirming the adoption occurred before the child turned 16 (or 18 if the sibling exception applies);
  • Proof of legal custody of the adopted child for at least 2 years;
  • Evidence of joint residence with the adopted child for 2 years;

Likewise also see the article on adoption in Thailand as well as the US visa Thailand articles.


Moving to the United States

Moving to the United States requires many application forms. The Form I-130 Information form is needed when you have applied for a US Visa for your Thai wife or Thai girlfriend. You can see the fiance visa Thailand on here as well as the K3 spouse visa as well. Likewise see also what is the K 2 visa as well as the what is IR1 visa article. Lastly also see the how long does it take to get a U.S. visa from Thailand on here.