US K2 Visa in Thailand

The US K2 Visa in Thailand is coupled to the US fiancee visa. The K2 visa is for the child or children of your Thai girlfriend going back with you. The US K1 Visa is designed for fiancées of American citizens. With this type of visa, the foreign fiancée is permitted to travel to the United States for the purpose of marrying the US citizen. What is the K 2 visa and what is the K2 visa process in Thailand? See the K2 visa requirements below.

US K2 Visa in Thailand

To continue, when you get married she can then adjusting her status to become a lawful permanent resident of the country. It is considered as a dual intent visa which means that it is non-immigrant and only temporary, however, converting it to an immigrant visa is also possible and is highly encouraged. There is also a page on the US visa interview as well as possible US visa denial.

K2 Visa Process

If the mother of the Thai child has applied for the US K-1 Visa. The US K-2 Visa should be applied for by the children. The name of the child should be on the I-129F petition as the process begins. Once the Thai mother has married the US national. The child will then need an adjustment of status. This through complying with an I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence. This does not require a separate petition. This if the child will be following his or her mother to the United States within the course of one year.

However, if this does not happen. Then a separate application should be compiled later on. Always keep in mind that the child should be unmarried and below 21 years old. Take note that the visa will be approved at the same time as the mother. It will cost less to process them together rather than filing a separate petition a year after*. Note that as the Cost of K1 Visa in Thailand. Children under the US K-2 Visa are allowed to study while staying in the United States.

US K2 Visa Application

The US K2 Visa is designed for children of a US K1 Visa holder. This is defined as a derivative visa. This means that the K2 Visa is purely dependent on the status of the K1 visa holder. If your Thai fiancée or your Thai girlfriend is applying for a US K1 visa and a US K2 visa for her child. Should the K-1 visa application be denied then the US K-2 visa application would be denied.

This type of visa is also considered a derivative because it rides on the back of the US K-1 visa during the process of adjusting the status. Meaning, if the US K1 and K2 visa holders enter the United States at the same time, they are required to adjust their status at the same time.

Holders of the US K2 Visa from Thailand should abide by similar conditions as those with the US K-1 visa. The US K2 Visa in Thailand is a non-immigrant type of visa wherein the dual intent doctrine applies. This allowing the holder to adjust status upon entry to the United States. Also, the US K-2 visa is also a single entry visa, and the holder would need to obtain advance parole prior to leaving the United States.

The nature of the US K2 visa being a derivative. Creates complications if the US K-1 holder leaves the United States without getting an advance parole. The US K-2 visa holder will fall off his or her status once the US K1 visa holder leaves and falls out of status.

K2 Visa Requirements

k2 visa processNormally the K2 visa is done together with the K1 visa. See the K2 visa requirements below. Even if it was done done from the start it can be added up to a year after the K1 visa had been granted.

This can be done as long as the child is not older than 21 years old at that late stage. See the details below for all the documentation for the K-2 visa from Thailand. The documentary requirement for the K2 visa are:

  • The Consular forms will need to be completed for the child to obtain the visa;
  • If the child is over 16 years of age there needs to be a criminal record check;
  • The long form of the birth certificate of the child;
  • The child’s Thai passport;
  • Much like the mother with the K1 visa application the child needs a medical exam;
  • There are needs to be 2×2 photographs of the child (10 copies)

K2 Visa RequirementsThe benefits of the K2 visa is that the child will not need to file a seperate I-129F application. This when it was applied for with his/her mother. The K2 visa will also then be approved at the same time as the K1 visa, which makes managing the process much easier. 

Note that the child will also need to be taken to the Embassy when you have the visa interview. These are some of the benefits that the child will receive. 

  • The K2 visa holder cannot change to another nonimmigrant visa status;
  • The K2 visa (child) allows holders to study in the U.S.
  • He/She can apply for a US work permit under Employment Authorization (E.A.D.) form (Form I-765). 

If you require more assistance or have more questions then ask us online or call our toll-free number.

Other Services we Offer

Take note that the US K2 beneficiary should accompany their parents for the US K-1 visa interview at the US Embassy in Bangkok, as the Consular officer would want to see the child or children physically. Ensure that you are dressed correctly, more like a job interview. Also ensure that you have all the needed documents again. Even the documents which you had already submitted. They will normally allow you to take one person with which would be our Thai immigration lawyer. Now you know the K2 visa requirements as well as well as the US visa Thailand options. 

K2 Visa in Thailand FAQ

What Are the Requirements for a US Fiancé Visa?

To apply for a US fiancé visa (K1 visa), it’s essential to have met your partner in person and meet the financial requirements. Typically, this financial requirement is 125% of the poverty line for your State. However, if you are an active US military member, you need to meet only 100% of the poverty line. Additionally, there is a K2 visa available for minor children, allowing them to accompany their parent to the US.

What Is the K2 Visa for the USA?

The K2 visa is specifically designed for minor children accompanying their parent to the US. One of the parents holds the K1 visa, and the K2 visa is linked to the parent’s K1 visa. It’s a common type of visa for families from Thailand traveling to the USA.

What Is the K-2 Visa?

The K-2 visa in the US is for minor children who are accompanying a parent to the United States. This visa is applicable to those families who have applied for the K1 visa in Thailand. Usually, the application for the K-2 visa is filed concurrently with the K1 visa application, ensuring a smooth process for the entire family.