Feb 6

Medical Exams and Interviews

Medical Exams and Interviews

Medical exams and interviews are part of the US visa process. Everyone applying for a K visa is required to complete a medical examination. The US Embassy in Bangkok will assign approved location in Bangkok and Chiang Mai where you can get the medical checks. Also, applicants are required to have additional vaccines prior to leaving for the United States.

Medical Exams and Interviews

Once you have completed the medical examination, an interview will be done at the US Embassy in Bangkok. The embassy will inform you of your interview schedule and who are required to show up with you as your Thai fiancée would be answering most of the questions.

K2 Visa

k2 visa

If the mother of the Thai child has applied for the US K-1 Visa, the US K-2 Visa should be applied for by the children. Take legal advice with this step.

More Details

K4 Visa

k4 visa

The US K-4 Visa allows the children of a Thai spouse and a US citizen to come with their parents to the United States. Apply for the K4 visa.

More Details   

After a successful K visa interview, your visa should be ready for pick up at the embassy in 5-7 business days. US K-2 visa holders are given one year in which they have to enter the United States from the day the US K-1 visa was issued to their parents. The children are not allowed to enter the United States before the US K-1 visa holder parent, but are allowed to travel together with their parent and enter the country together.

The US K-2 visa holder is given 90 days from his or her entry in the United States to apply for a green card and also the adjustment of their immigration status to permanent resident. In order to initiate this process, the American step-parent should file the I-485 on the child’s behalf. Note that all of these are also part of the medical exams and interviews process in Thailand.


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is line.jpg

Benefits of the US K-2 Visa

  • – The child applicant is not required to file another I-129F application form
  • – Once the Thai fiancée is granted the US K-1 visa, the child will also be granted a US K-2 visa
  • – The child can stay in the US with his or her parents while waiting for them to get married
  • – The child holding a US K2 visa is allowed to pursue education in the United States, and is
  • – The child is also eligible to file an application for Employment Authorization I-765 
  • – This type of visa is cheaper and quicker to obtain compared to the I-130 petition of Alien Relative


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is line.jpg

Always take proper legal advice when you are applying for a US visa in Thailand.