Form I-765 Application for Employment

Form I-765, also called the Application for Employment Authorization, is a form that people can fill out in the United States when they want to ask for permission to work. When they get this permission, they receive something called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). See the Form I-765 Application for Employment explained below. 

Now, you might be wondering who can apply for an EAD. Well, if you’ve recently been given permission to enter the U.S. (this is known as being paroled), you can apply. Also, if you’ve asked for asylum (which means you’re seeking protection because it’s not safe for you in your home country), and you’ve been waiting for at least 150 days for a decision on your application, you can apply too.

Likewise if you wish to apply, the first thing you need to do is make an account on the USCIS website. After that, you fill out a form called Form I-765. So if everything goes well and your application gets approved, USCIS will send your work permit to your address.

But remember, starting from April 1, 2022. There has been a change. You can’t pay for more than one form with a single payment . This means each form, like Form I-765, needs its own payment. See also the US visa for Thai citizen on here as well. 

Visa Used : K1K2 K3 | K4

Form I-765 Application for Employment

Form I-765 Application for Employment from Thailand

What is the cost of filing Form I-765?

Applying for Form I-765, which allows you to work legally in the U.S., costs $410. But, if you qualify under certain categories, you might also have to pay an additional fee of $85 for biometrics services, on top of the $410 filing fee.


What is the processing time for Form I-765?

The time it takes for your work permit application (Form I-765) to be processed can vary. Usually, it takes between 2 to 7 months (60–210 days) for USCIS to process it, but the duration can change based on the processing center. If they ask for more documents (called a Request for Evidence or RFE), and you provide them, your work permit should be processed within 60 to 90 days after you submit the extra paperwork. Likewise also see the I-129f petition on here.


EAD or Green Card

Employment Authorization Document (EAD):

  • EAD, or work permit, is for people waiting for their permanent residency application. It lets non-citizens work legally in the U.S.
  • There are two types: one linked to a green card application, and another not tied to it.

Green Card:

  • A Green Card shows you’re a permanent U.S. resident, allowing you to work and travel internationally.

It’s a big deal because it means you can stay and work in the U.S. forever

Main Differences:

  • A green card is permanent, but an EAD is temporary and expires when its purpose ends.
  • Green Card holders can eventually become U.S. citizens and help family members get Green Cards, which EAD holders can’t do.

Always check the official USCIS website or talk to an immigration expert for the latest info, as rules might change.


US Spouse Visa and Employment

The CR1, IR1, and K3 visas are for spouses of U.S. citizens, but they work in slightly different ways. CR1 is for people already married to U.S. citizens. They have to show they can support themselves financially and can work once they arrive in the U.S.

 IR1 is just for spouses of U.S. citizens, and they can start working right away. K3 is for spouses from other countries, allowing them to apply for residency and a work permit after approval. Each one has its rules, so it’s important to know the differences before applying.

K3 Visa:

  • K3 visa is for spouses of U.S. citizens from other countries.
  • Once approved, they can apply for a work permit (EAD) to work in the U.S.

CR1 Visa:

  • CR1 visa is for people married to U.S. citizens.
  • After getting this visa, they can also apply for a work permit (EAD) for U.S. employment.

IR1 Visa:

  • IR1 visa is for foreign spouses of U.S. citizens.
  • They can start working in the U.S. right after arriving.


Remember, each visa type lets spouses apply for a work permit, but the rules might change. It’s best to check with USCIS or a legal expert for the most current info. Finally also see the affidavit of support Thailand on here.


Moving to the United States

In addition to the explanation above on the Form I-765 Application for Employment. There are also articles on the CR1 visa interview questions as well. There is also the US student visa as well as the articles which cover the B2 visa as well as the Form FS-240 as well. Lastly always take advice from an immigration expert as a K1 visa denial can become an issue.