These are the Thai permanent residency requirements. These are the Applying for a Thai Permanent Residency is quite a confusing topic, and it is only made available to a few thousand foreigners every year. The Thai Immigration Department has an annual quota of 100 people per nationality can apply for the Permanent Residence (PR), and some years only provide three months of the year to apply for the PR.
Permanent Residency is mandatory for those who want to apply for Thai Citizenship.
Requirements in applying for the Thai Permanent Residency (PR):
- – Applicant should be holding a non-immigrant visa for 3 consecutive years prior to submission
- – Applicant should be holding a non-immigrant visa upon submitting the application
- – Applicant must be able to meet one of the categories enlisted to qualify for PR status in Thailand
Further to the Thai permanent residency requirements, once your application is approved, you will be issued a residence blue book and you will also receive an alien registration book or red book from the local police station. If you have plans on leaving the country, you have to apply for a re-entry permit (endorsement). The applicant should have no criminal record in Thailand or in the home country.
Eligibility requirements in applying for Thai Permanent Residency (PR):
- Citizenship is required for business or employment;
- Permanent Residency for Investment purposes – Applicant should have a minimum of 3 million Baht invested in a limited or public company in Thailand, and have a Thai state-issued security corporation, Thai state enterprise’s security corporation or the Thai Stock Market;
- Business Category – Applicant have been an executive officer and a signatory of a business or company registered in the Kingdom, with a capital of at least 10 million Baht for at least one year, and have earning of at least 50,000 Baht per month for two consecutive years before the submission of the application;
- Employment Category – Applicant must have earned at least 80,000 Baht per month for two consecutive years, or have filed a tax return for an annual income of 100,000 Baht or more for two consecutive years, and have been holding a work permit for at least three consecutive years and have worked at the current company for at least one year;
- Humanity Category (have an existing relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who is holding a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; guardian or Thai child under 20);
- Expert Category – Applicant is holding a Bachelor Degree or higher education and have worked in a role requiring him or her to stay in Thailand for at least three consecutive years;
- Applicant is already retired in Thailand, and staying in Thailand permanently;
- Other categories specified by the Thai Immigration;
Also, to obtain a Thai Permanent Residency you will be interviewed by an immigration officer at the Immigration Office. Questions will be asked regarding your documents, religion and background. Your answers will be taken down and will be printed afterwards, and you will be requested to sign them.
You will also have to answer 10 multiple choice questions written in Thai language, and the officer will assist you if you cannot read Thai very well. After the test, you will be directed into a partitioned area where you have to introduce yourself in Thai. This presentation will be recorded on camera. These are all part of the Thai permanent residency requirements for Thailand.