Work Permit Fees in Thailand

The cost of the work permit in Thailand depends on a number of issues. It depends on how long you are extending the work permit for. There are also other fees such as work permit fees for changing location or occupation on the exact same work permit. Speak to a lawyer in Thailand about the charges and also the timeline for each process.

Most work permits in Thailand are for the length of the contact. Most employment contracts in Thailand tend to be for 12 months only. It can however be longer and your work permit can be for as long as the contract will be. You might have a contract for 18 months so the work permit will be for 18 months. Note that you Thai visa will also be extended with your work permit so it means a visit to the Labour Department as well as Thai immigration.

You will also note that you can also apply for a work permit while holding onto a Thai marriage visa while in Thailand. Once the work permit is cancelled your Non Immigrant B Thai visa will also be cancelled. If you have a 12 month Non Immigrant B Visa and you only work for 6 months and the work permit is cancelled, you will need to apply for a Non B Visa again and go through the process of extending it again to the 12 month visa you had before. Please, note that this rule does not apply for Marriage Visa.

Thai government fees for a work permit:
  • 100 Baht/form = Permit application Fee
  • 750 Baht = work permit not longer than 3 months.
  • 1,500 Baht = work permit longer than 3 months but does not exceed 6 months.
  • 3,000 Baht = work permit longer than 6 months but does not exceed 12 months.

If the work permit is longer than one year or 12 months then there are additional fees. It is not very common to have employment contracts for longer than 12 months in Thailand so most of the laws revolve around a 12 month period.

Thai government fees for amendments:
  • 500 Baht/Book = Substitute of a permit
  • 1,000 Baht/time = Permission to change or add job description.
  • 3,000 Baht/time = Permission to remove or add an employer
  • 1,000 Baht/time = Permission to change or add the locality or place of work
  • 150 Baht/time = Permission to change or add conditions

In the article on working illegally in Thailand one of the many offences is when you work as a location not in your work permit or not working for the person in the work permit. The permit only allows you to work for the person at the address in your work permit.

As an example you have a work permit to teach in Thailand. You work for ABC school in Bangkok. You have a part-time job on weekends at AB Language School in Minburi. The work permit does not cover the language school. You don’t need two work permits but can add an employer and add an address to the permit. Speak to our lawyers about these additions and the fees for changing these while in Thailand. Call us today or walk into our offices in Bangkok or Phuket for more information.

The information contained in our website is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advices. For further information, please contact us.