Financial Requirements of Thai Marriage Visa

If you are married to a Thai then you can stay in Thailand with a Thai “O” Visa also known as a Thai marriage visa. In order to do this you need to meet the requirements of this visa before the visa is extended in Thailand for a period of 12 months. Note that the marriage visa does not require a police clearance certificate or medical certificate like a retirement visa.

You need to ensure that when the visa is extended in Thailand for 12 months that you have the following documents ready for submission. These are the requirements for a Thai marriage visa extension in Thailand. The laws do change so always speak to a lawyer for the most up-to-date information and requirements from Thai immigration.

 Thai Marriage Visa Financial Requirements

You will note that this normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete. Also note that once the marriage visa has been extended for 12 months you need to ensure that 45 days before it expires that you apply for a marriage visa renewal. This process is also documented on this website.

Once your marriage visa has been extended for 12 months you need to report your address in Thailand to Thai immigration every 90 days. If you plan on leaving Thailand and return you will also need a re-entry permit or you will invalidate your visa when you leave.


Thai Visa documents needed

You need to complete the application form to have the marriage visa extended.

You need a copy of your passport with a copy of your TM card and visa in the passport.

You need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate. If you had married in Thailand you need both marriage certificates. The Amphur provides a plain 2 pages marriage certificate as well as a fancy marriage certificate which looks like a diploma. You need to provide copies of both of these certificates. If you got married outside of Thailand then you need a copy of your foreign marriage certificate. Speak to an immigration lawyer about certification of your copy.

You need copies of the birth certificates of your children with your Thai wife

You need a copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Registration Booklet)

You need the adoption papers of any children you and your Thai wife have adopted.

You need a copy of your Thai wife’s ID card.

You need a copy of a map to your home or apartment in Thailand.

You need photos of you and your wife together. Normally a wedding photo or two.

You need to show your Thai bank account with 400,000THB in the account or an income of 40,000THB per month. This is both for renewal of the visa and a new application.


If you need more information then call us toll-free from Australia, UK or the USA for more information and assistance. You can also walk into our offices in Bangkok or Phuket for a confidential discussion about your plans for Thailand.

The information contained in our website is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. For further information, please contact us.