If you have settled in Thailand then you are going to want to have a driver license be this for a car or a motorcycle. If you wish to use your driver’s license from your home country then you will need to obtain an IDP (International Drivers Permit). The rules in Thailand do change but it is understood that once in Thailand for longer than 90 days the government will look for a Thai driver’s license.
Laws are not always enforced in Thailand however when they are you always want to be on the correct side of the law. Vehicle insurance in Thailand might also have their own clauses so if you are renting a car then check with them as to the conditions of insurance. If you have bought a motorcycle or vehicle then also check the fine print on the insurance with regards to the use of a driver’s license.
Note that in order to obtain a Thai driver’s license you need to ensure that you have entered Thailand on a non-immigrant visa. This can be a marriage visa or a retirement visa. You can also use your business visa and work permit. The Thai traffic department will not however all you to apply for a driver’s license when you entered Thailand on a visa on arrival or a tourist visa.
Your first Thai driver’s license is good for one year when issued the first time. After that you can apply for a license which is valid for 5 years. See the Thai traffic department website for more details or speak to us while we complete your marriage or retirement visa in Thailand.
1. Completed application form for Driving License
2. Photocopy of your Passport pages showing the visa/visa extension stamp
3. Photocopy of a Valid Thai Work Permit (only required if you have one)
4. Your original Medical Certificate not more than 30 days old
5. Original Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration or your Embassy
6. Photocopy of your unexpired Driving License from your own country (if you have one)
7. Photocopy of International Driving Permit (IDP) from your home country (if you have one)
8. Fee for Car License of 205 Baht and/or Fee for Motorcycle License of 155 Baht
The information contained in our website is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advices. For further information, please contact us.